Team TRAC Labs
Team TRACLabs, based in Houston TX, is the only small business-run team to advance to the DRC Finals with DARPA funding. Two broad strategies guided our approach through the Virtual Robotics Challenge and Trials: (1) rely on human intelligence for high-level decision making and (2) treat the competition primarily as a matter of system integration. With a robust and cohesive foundation in place, our goals for the Finals are to increase robot autonomy, improve robot control, and explore new strategies for human-robot interaction.
Involvement in Prior DARPA Challenges:
- Dr. Patrick Beeson participated with the University of Texas in the 2006-7 DARPA Urban Challenge.
- Going way back, Dr. Rob Burridge participated with the University of Michigan in the 1992 and 1993 Message Understanding Conferences!
Other interesting items of note:
- Our team of 11 members has a variety of education levels, including one undergraduate, four Bachelors, two Masters, and four PhDs.
- Team member experience combines expertise from the fields of computer, electrical, and mechanical engineering, mathematics, and computer science.
- Since its inception in 1997, TRACLabs has provided robotics and artificial intelligence support to NASA's Johnson Space Center and the Department of Defense.